This moist chocolate banana bread is everything you need for breakfast. A chocolate loaf packed with ripe bananas and topped with chocolate chips. So easy, delicious and prefect to make ahead for a quick weekday breakfast.
Chocolate banana bread with sour cream
If your looking for a moist and fluffy banana bread recipe then you’ll certainly love this one! Sour cream is added to help create a moist and flavorful banana bread. If you don’t have sour cream on hand, greek yogurt works in a pinch too!
What do I need to make banana bread?
- Ripe Bananas
- Vegetable Oil
- Sour Cream
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
How to make chocolate banana bread
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 9×5 loaf pan with non stick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl. Add in the sugar, brown sugar, oil and melted butter together. Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until well combined. Pour batter into a loaf pan. Top with chocolate chips. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Can I add nuts to banana bread?
Yum! Yes, walnuts or even pecans would be so delicious in this chocolate banana bread?
Can I freeze banana bread?
Yes! Allow your loaf to cool completely before freezing. It’s best to slice the bread then wrap in individually to allow for quicker defrosting. Cover tightly in plastic wrap then place into a ziplock bag. Freeze for 2- 3months.
Natural Cocoa vs Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
This recipe for moist chocolate banana bread calls for Natural Cocoa powder like the Hershey’s brand. Dutch process cocoa powder is a little harder to come by and can typically be found in specialty stores however Hershey’s Special Dark is in fact Dutch process. Dutch process cocoa powder is processed with alkali which affects how it interacts with the leavening agent in the recipe. For instance, dutch process will not interact with baking soda but will work perfectly in recipes that call for baking powder. Using dutch process cocoa powder in a recipe that calls for natural cocoa powder will surely alter the outcome of the recipe.
Looking for more chocolate recipes?
If your a fellow chocolate lover, check out these chocolate recipes:
Moist Chocolate Banana Bread
Quick and easy moist chocolate banana bread. Perfect for breakfast or snacking.
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter Melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs Room Temp
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Mashed Bananas Ripe
- 1/2 cup Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips semi sweet or bittersweet
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and pinch of salt together, set aside. Grab another medium size bowl, mash 3 bananas until well mashed. Add in the butter, oil, vanilla and sugars and whisk until well combined. Add in eggs one at a time then sour cream.
3. Fold in the dry ingredients until well combined. Pour batter into the prepared 9×5 loaf pan then top with chocolate chips. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
4. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from pan.