Soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies packed with bright lemon flavors. These cookies are easy to make, tossed in sugar and are perfectly chewy with crisped edges.
These bright lemon sugar cookies are perfect for spring! This cookie packs the perfect amount of lemon flavor without being too tart. This is basically a sugar cookie taken up a few notches.
These Lemon Cookies are:
- Perfectly sweet
- Bright lemony flavor
- Easy to make
- Chewy and soft
- Perfectly crisped edges
- Iced with an easy glaze
What you’ll need for Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Butter: This recipe has a decent amount of butter, this is what is going to make the cookies soft and chewy.
- Sugar: It may seem like a lot of sugar, but remember this is a sugar cookie recipe after all. Plus we need the sugar to help balance out the lemon.
- Eggs: Add moistness and structure to the cookies.
- Lemon Juice: Juice from one lemon is the perfect amount to add some bright, tart flavor to the cookies.
- Lemon Zest: The lemon zest really packs on the delicious flavor of the lemon for these cookies.
- All Purpose Flour: The flour will help with the structure of the cookies.
- Baking Soda: Leavening agent for the cookies and helps the cookies spread just enough.
- Salt: Balances out the sweet and tartness of the cookies.
- Vanilla: Add some extra flavor to the cookies.
How to make sugar cookies
- Start out with room temperature butter and eggs. In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes, it should be light, pale and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time. Mix in the zest of 1 lemon, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Next, mix in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Using a small or medium scoop, scoop the cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Roll each cookies into sugar. Allow the cookies to chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet, allowing cookies to evenly spread. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Tips for perfect Sugar Cookies
- Make the dough ahead of time. This will allow the butter to solidify again and helps the cookie spread evenly.
- Again, make sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature. This will make it so much easier for your dough to come together.
- Roll the cookie in sugar before placing into the fridge.
- Use parchment when baking. This will make sure your beautiful cookies don’t stick.
- Space cookies at least 2 inches apart. This will help with even cooking.
- Store cookies in a airtight ziploc bag or container for maximum freshness.
Iced Lemon Sugar Cookies
These sugar cookies have a simple glaze on them. Just powdered sugar, milk and vanilla are all you need for the glaze. The cookies are also topped with lemon zest for presentation and taste.
Looking for more cookie recipes?
Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
Soft and chewy lemon sugar cookies packed with the bright flavors of lemons.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Lemon zest
- 2 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 tablespoon Sugar Use for rolling cookies
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest Use for garnish
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Lemon Sugar Cookies
1. In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar for 3 minutes, it should be light, pale and fluffy. Add in eggs one at a time. Mix in the zest of 1 lemon, vanilla extract and lemon juice.
3. Mix in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
4. With a small or medium cookie scoop, scoop the cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Roll each cookies into sugar.
5. Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
6. Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet, allowing cookies to evenly spread. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract. If too thick, add a tad more milk.
2. Drizzle over the cookies and top with lemon zest.