These Lemon Bars start out with a sweet crunchy cookie crust, and has a velvety smooth lemony custard. They are sweet yet tangy and have the perfect balance of both.
I whipped these up for my sister who is a H-U-G-E fan of lemon bars. Me, not so much. But she suggested I make them, I think solely for the purpose of her taking the entire batch home. Unlike her, I would much rather eat lemon pound cake or lemon cake, something a little bit more on the sweeter side.
I must say after making these bars, they were damn good. Perfect balance of tangy yet not overly tangy and just the right amount of sweetness to balance it all out.
This bar started out with a buttery sugar cookie crust baked for 15 minutes prior to adding the custard filling. The custard is pretty easy also, mix the sugar, eggs, flour and lemon juice together. Pour it into the pre-prepared cookie crust and bake until just set. You want it to be a little jiggly once you take it out, don’t worry, the left over heat from pan will firm it up just fine.
Let them cool entirely, about 2 hours or so, and cut. Dust with some powdered sugar for a beautiful finish and enjoy!
Sweet and Tangy Lemon Bars with a slightly crunchy cookie crust
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups White Sugar
- 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 Lemons Juiced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend softened butter, flour and sugar together. Press into a 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. While the crust is baking, blend the eggs, sugar flour and lemon juice together. Pour into prepared crust. Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
4. Let cool completely before cutting, at least 2 hours.