Apple crisp has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a kid. I don’t know if its the cinnamon coated apples or the crunchy topping but it’s just something about the contrast of textures that I love.
Every fall and winter this is always my go to Apple dessert…1) Because it’s easy 2) Makes plenty for a crowd and 3) it has apples in it so it has to be healthy…right? Well I’ve always been taught that an apple a day will keep the doctor away so I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s ok to eat this for breakfast…lol.
This apple crisp is baked with tart granny smith apples, the apples are then coated with a delicious cinnamon sugar mixture. The natural juices from the apple mixed with that cinnamon sugar mixture create this magical caramel like syrup in the oven and it is absolutely prefect.
The topping is by far my favorite part, it has quick oats, butter, walnuts, brown sugar all come together to make this delicious topping. It’s slightly soft but slightly crunchy and it goes PREFECTLY with vanilla bean ice cream. ( See what I’m sayin’, you could definitely have this for breakfast…apples…milk….talk about a wholesome breakfast!)
This recipe is prefect for a crowd and its super easy to make!
You might just be making this recipe once a week or in my case twice a week.
I made this for Sunday dessert and everyone gobbled it up. The aroma from the magic happening in that baking dish in the oven is just heavenly. There is just something about the smell of things baked with cinnamon that just scream fall to me and make the house smell amazing.
I hope you and your family enjoy this perfectly sweet, warm, perfectly spiced, delicious, and oh so comforting Apple Crisp!
Spiced Apples topped with a crunchy nut and oat topping.
Apple Walnut Crisp
Warm Apple Walnut Crisp with a crunchy oat and walnut topping.
- 10 Granny Smith Apples Medium
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Quick Oats
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter
1. Preheat oven to 30 degrees
2. While oven is preheating, core and peel the apples.
3. Cut the apples into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set the apples aside in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the nutmeg, cinnamon, flour, and sugar.
5. Once mixture is combined, pour the mixture over the apples and toss until all the apples are coated. Place the apples in a baking dish. Set Aside.
1. In a sepearte bowl, mix flour, quick oats, sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, baking soda and baking powder together. Use a fork to combine the topping mixture by press it together until a crumbly texture forms.
2. Sprinkle the topping over the apples. Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
If you like a lot of topping, I would recommend doubling the topping recipe.