Fudgy chocolate loaf cake with a peppermint glaze is what this holiday season calls for! Perfect for Christmas morning!
**This post is in Paid Sponsorship with Sur La Table, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.***
Chocolate Loaf Cake
This loaf cake is so delicious! It’s moist, slightly fudgy, decadent and oh so chocolatey! It seriously makes the perfect breakfast, snack or dessert. It’s so easy to make which makes this recipe even better.
After the chocolate cake cools, it’s then drizzled with a sweet peppermint glaze and crushed candy canes. I mean talk about the perfect holiday treat!
Another delicious option for this loaf cake would be chopped Peppermint Bark from Sur La Table. Either option would really take this loaf over the top.
Ingredients for the loaf cake
- Sour Cream
- Semi- Sweet Chocolate
- Dark Chocolate
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- All Purpose Flour
Ingredients for Peppermint Glaze
- Powdered Sugar
- Peppermint Extract
- Peppermint Crunch Holiday Sprinkles
How to Make
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Microwave the dark chocolate and the semisweet chocolate together until melted. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix the butter and sugar together for about 1-2 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Then pour in the melted chocolate.
- Alternating between the milk/sour cream mixture and the flour mixture, add to the butter/chocolate mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased 5×10 inch inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to make the peppermint glaze
- In a medium bowl, add in the powdered sugar, a teaspoon of milk and 2 drops of peppermint extract.
- Once the cake cools, drizzle the glaze over the top of the loaf.
Tips for making this loaf cake
- Have all of your ingredients at room temperature. This will help create a nice smooth batter.
- Be sure not to overmix. Overmixing could result in a dry, dense loaf.
- Preparing the pan is super important in this recipe. Making sure to spray evenly with non-stick baking spray will help the loaf release from the pan.
Can I freeze this loaf cake?
You sure can! I suggest slicing the entire loaf, then placing a piece of parchment between each slice so they don’t stick together. You can freeze for up to 2-3 months.
When your ready to eat, simply pull the loaf out of the freezer and allow it to come to room temperature. This should take about 1-2 hours so it’s best to try to pull it out the night before to thaw.
Storing the loaf
You can either slice the entire loaf or leave the loaf whole and slice as you desire. The loaf should be stored in a airtight container and will stay fresh on the counter for 2- 3 days.
Chocolate Loaf with Peppermint Glaze
Fudgy chocolate loaf topped with a peppermint glaze and crunchy peppermint candies.
Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips melted
- 1/3 cup Dark Chocolate Chips melted
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 3 tablespoon Crushed Candy Cane
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 5×10 inch baking loaf
2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
3. Melt chocolate together in a microwavable safe bowl and set aside.
4. In a stand mixer, mix the sugar and butter together for about 1-2 minutes. Add in the eggs and vanilla. Pour in the melted chocolate.
5. Add in the milk and flour, alternating between the flour and sour cream/milk mixture. So, flour, milk, flour, milk until fully combined.
6. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
1. In a bowl, add the powdered sugar, milk and peppermint extract together. Drizzle the glaze over the chocolate loaf once the cake is cool.
2. Sprinkle the crushed candy cane pieces over the loaf.