The perfect mashup of gooey brownies and chewy chocolate chip cookies! This Brown Butter Brookie Recipe is sure to satisfy your next sweet tooth craving!
What are brookies?
Brookies are the perfect mashup of chewy chocolate chip cookies and rich fudgy brownies. Each square has the perfect amount of both in each bite. This Brown Butter Brookie recipe is made similar to brownies in the fact that they are made in a square pan. These particular brookies are made with brown butter chocolate chip cookie recipe. The nuttiness of the brown butter is perfect to offset the richness of the brownies.
Ingredients in this Brown Butter Brookie Recipe
- Brown Butter: Butter is melted over the stove top until it is a beautiful amber color for the cookies.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar adds to the overall flavor of the cookies and helps keep the brookies chewy.
- Sugar: I use granulated sugar also which helps make the brookies perfectly sweet.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: You need both leavening agents to help the brookies rise and gives it texture.
- Vanilla: Adds such amazing warm flavor especially for the cookie.
- Flour: Provides structure for the brownies and cookies.
- Cocoa Powder: Adds flavor and structure to the brownies.
- Butter: Keeps the brownies moist and fudgy
- Eggs: Also helps with the moistness of the brookies. Be sure to pull out ahead of time.
- Chocolate: Be sure to good quality chocolate, this makes a difference in the flavor.
Before starting it’s best make the brown butter first as it will need some time to cool before using. The brown butter just takes this recipe over the top and adds a unique delicious flavor to the brookies. I promise, you will not be sorry you made it. To make follow these steps below:
- Start out by melting the butter. For quicker melting you can cut the butter into cubes if you’d like. I typically just add both cold sticks of butter to the pot and allow to start melting. Set the stove to medium heat.
- It is important to keep your eye on the pot and not to walk away. Once the butter starts to melt, it will develop a frothy foam on the top, be sure to stir frequently. It’s hard to see under the foam so stirring will ensure no burnt butter.
- As soon as the crackling sound of butter has slowed, and your butter is a beautiful golden brown. Remove it from the stove and allow to cool.
How to make these Brown Butter Brookies
After you’ve made the brown butter and allowed it to cool, let’s make the cookie dough part of the brookies. Pour the cooled brown butter and all the the browned bits into a stand mixer. Then add the sugar and brown sugar, cream together for 2-3 minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla, then mix until well combined. Lastly, add in the flour, baking soda, and salt then fold in chocolate chips.
For the brownie layer, melt butter, chocolate, and sugar together on the stovetop in a heavy bottomed pan. Once melted, remove from the stove top then add vanilla, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, eggs and salt until well combined.
Grab a 9×13 inch pan, then spray with non stick cooking spray. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough and brownie batter into the pan, alternating between the two. Once you have all of the cookie dough and brownie batter into the pan, press into a even layer.
Bake for 30-32 minutes.
How to store
I would suggest storing the Brown Butter Brookies in a airtight container to keep them fresh. The brookies will stay fresh for about 2-3 days.
Brown Butter Brookies
Nutty Brown Butter cookies swirled with fudgy chocolatey brownies.
Brown Butter Cookie Layer
- 1 cup Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- 8 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bars Chopped
- 1/2 cup Butter Softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup All Purpose
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
Brown Butter Cookie Layer
1, In a heavy bottomed pot, brown the butter until a amber color. It will take about 3-5 minutes to reach an amber color. Set aside and let it cool.
2. In a stand mixer, mix the brown butter, brown sugar, sugar and vanilla together for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Mix in the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Fold in the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
1. In a medium bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in a microwavable safe plate in intervals of 20-30 seconds.
2. Mix in the sugar and vanilla. Then add in the eggs.
3. Fold in the cocoa powder, salt, flour and baking powder into the chocolate mixture.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
3. Using a cookie scoop, alternate between the cookie and brownie batter in the pan. Press the batter into the pan into a even layer.
4. Bake 30-35 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.