Like most moms, I constantly on the go and find it so hard to eat healthy. Up until a few weeks ago, I rarely ever bought my lunch and would just get a quick bite to eat at the surrounding restaurants near my office.
I decided that I needed to get into a better habit and I to can make really delicious healthy food at home for half the price of what I was paying at the restaurants.
The best part was that I had everything I needed in the house to make a quick and yummy dinner that would also be plenty for a weeks worth of lunches.
This meal is one of my favorites because I can have it on the table within 30 minutes, I can also have leftovers for lunch for several days.
I start out by toasting the quinoa just a little. I add olive oil to a medium sauce pot, add in the quinoa and let it heat up until the quinoa starts to turn just golden brown. I then add in 2 cups of water, add in my seasonings, let it boil for about 30 seconds then cover. Turn the heat down to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
While the quinoa is cooking. Heat a large pan with olive oil. Season chicken with McCormick Seasoning then add to pan. While the chicken is cooking, add in the chopped peppers, onions and any other vegetable your using to the pot. Add the rest of the seasoning and toss all together. Cover for an additional 5-7 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and vegetables are soft.
Serve over top of quinoa or mix it all together. You could even get all fancy and add avocado, spring onions or even some pico de gallo on top..the choice is yours.
A quick, delicious and healthy meal prep idea to you through the week.
Chicken Pepper Mix
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1 Red Onion
- 1/2 Bag Frozen Brocolli
- 1 lb Chicken Breast Tenderloins
- 3 tablespoons McCormick MontrealChicken Seasoning
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Chicken Pepper Mix
1. Cut the Onion and Peppers into strips. Set Aside.
2. Using a large pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in pan. While the pan is heating up, season chicken with a tablespoon of the McCormick Seasoning. Once chicken is seasoned, add to the hot pan. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes if using chicken tenderloins. Add the onions, peppers, and other vegetables to the pan. Add the remaining McCormick seasoning, mix everything together. Cover and let cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the peppers have softened just a bit.
1. Add 2 teaspoons of Olive Oil to a pot. Add in Quinoa. The quinoa will begin to toast, make sure to constantly mix. Once the quinoa begins to brown, pour in 2 cups of water. Add the salt and pepper to your taste preference. Let quinoa boil for about 30 seconds, cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
2. Once quinoa is done, fluff with a fork.