This quick and easy chocolate sheet cake is delicious, moist, no fuss and perfect for your next dessert. Chocolaty cake topped with a rich chocolate buttercream and topped with sprinkles. YUM!
No More Box Mix
Now I’ll have to admit, I’m all for box cake on the days I’m feeling super lazy and baking from scratch just isn’t the vibe. So don’t judge me if you happen to see a box of cake mix or two on deck ummmk..k.
But this Easy Chocolate Sheet cake has me wanting to throw the box mix out. Seriously, this cake is so so good and everything a chocolate cake should me. Moist, slightly fudgy and a great chocolate flavor.
This Chocolate Cake is:
- A sheet cake but can be made into a 2 or 3 layer cake
- Soft and Fluffy
- Rich and exploding with chocolate flavor
- Topped with a rich and velvety buttercream
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- All Purpose Flour: This is what gives the cake it’s structure. I would not recommend using cake flour because it’s too fine and won’t hold the cake together properly.
- Sugar: Provides the perfect amount of sweetness to the cake.
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder: Provides the color and chocolaty flavor for the cake. I use the Hershey’s Cocoa Powder.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: These two are essential to help the cake rise.
- Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil: This is so important to help create a super moist cake. Please don’t use butter in this recipe as the butter will create a dry cake.
- Eggs: Make sure the eggs are room temperature, this will help ensure that everything combines together easier. I generally sit my eggs on the counter for about 30 minutes before I start baking.
- Milk: This is essential to moisten the cake. You can certainly use buttermilk too if you have it on hand.
- Vanilla: Adds delicious flavor to the cake.
- Hot Coffee: I add hot coffee at the end to break up any clumps of flour or cocoa powder that may have not broken down. The coffee doesn’t give the cake a coffee flavor at all, just enhances the flavor of chocolate. If your not a fan of coffee, you can certainly use hot water.
- Salt: This helps cut the sweetness of the cake.
How to make Chocolate Cake
This easy chocolate sheet cake comes together in minutes, doesn’t require a mixer just two bowls, one for wet and the other for dry ingredients. This recipe is seriously no fuss! I like to mix all of my dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in the other, then pour the wet into the dry and mix. Or the other way around, it seriously doesn’t matter, this recipe is so easy. Lastly I pour in the hot coffee and mix until well combined.
I pour the batter into a 9×13 baking pan and bake for 27-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Powdered Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
This buttercream recipe is super easy to make. Start out with room temperature butter, then add in the powdered sugar…slowly…unless you want a powdered sugar mess. While that is mixing, slowly add in milk a little a time. Add in Vanilla and Salt. Next add in the cocoa powder and mix until well combined. You will likely need to add more milk to create a smooth chocolatey consistency.
I really hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family did! It’s so easy and perfect for your next family event.
Easy Chocolate Sheet Cake
Quick and easy chocolate cake that's exploding with chocolate flavor. Topped with a smooth and rich chocolate buttercream and your favorite sprinkles.
Chocolate Sheet Cake
- 1 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil or Coconut Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Hot Coffee
- 1 cup Butter Softened
- 3-4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3-4 tablespoon Milk
Easy Chocolate Sheet Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 square pan. Set aside.
2. Grab two bowls. In one bowl measure out your dry ingredients. In another bowl, add your wet ingredients besides the hot coffee.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients then mix until just combined. Next, add in the hot coffee. Mix until well combined.
4. Pour into the greased 9×13 in pan. Bake for 27-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
1. Put your softened butter into a mixing bowl. Add in the powdered sugar slowly.
2. Add in vanilla and small amounts of milk at a time.
3. Add in cocoa powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
4. If the buttercream is too dry, add in a teaspoon of milk at a time to get it to the right consistency.
5. Mix for about 5-7 minutes until smooth.