Ahhh, now that’s a mouth full of a title. But let me tell you how delicious and moist this bread was. So many flavors but it all comes together so well.
Toasted Coconut. Chocolate. Banana Bread… How could you go wrong with any of these 3? I mean banana bread is good all on its own but adding the coconut and chocolate really takes it up a notch.
I decided to bake this in a loaf pan but it could definitely be made into muffins as well to cut down on baking time if you want. I prefer the loaf, nothing like a nice thick slice of banana bread for breakfast…or dessert for that matter.
This recipe starts out with toasting the coconut. This gives the bread such a great flavor. I used a mixer to combine everything but this could definitely be mixed by hand.
Mix the sugar, butter and eggs until well combined. Next, add in the dry ingredients. The sour cream and the bananas. Mix until well combined. Add the toasted coconut. In a separate bowl, melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Your going to take about 1/4 of the banana batter and mix it with the chocolate.
Spray a 9 in loaf pan and be sure to spray the shit out of the pan with non-stick spray. Layer the banana batter in the bottom of the pan, scoop in the chocolate batter into each end of the pan. Finish with the banana batter. Make some beautiful swirls in the batter by running a knife up and down the middle of the pan. Once the banana batter and chocolate batter are swirled, sprinkle the batter with coconut, making sure to push it down into the batter so it doesn’t burn.
Bake for about an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!!!
Just a side note, this bread can be made ahead of time and frozen, just be sure to wrap very well in plastic wrap.
Toasted Coconut Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/2 Cup Butter Melted
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Toasted Coconut Pop the coconut in the oven beforehand at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes just until it starts to brown
- 2 Bananas Sliced
- 4 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Reserve 3 Tablespoons of Coconut and set to the side. Place the remaining coconut on a sheet pan and toast for 5-10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl or mixer, mix together the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, add vanilla. Add the Flour, baking soda, and salt and mix together until well combined. Add the sour cream and bananas. Add toasted coconut to the batter and fold in.
4. Melt the 4 oz of chocolate in the microwaves in 10 second intervals.
5. Scoop out about 1/3 of the banana bread batter into the melted chocolate. Mix until well combined.
6. Pour in the regular banana bread batter into the 9×5 pan, then scoop about 1/4 cup of chocolate batter onto each end of the pan. Then a layer of the regular batter and again 2 scoops of the chocolate repeating until both batters are in the pan. Take a knife and make a swirling motion in order to get the bread a marbled effect. 4 or 5 times up and back should be plenty, overdoing it might mix the batters too much.
7. Top the bread with the remaining coconut you set aside earlier, making sure to push the coconut into the batter, otherwise it will burn when its cooking.
8. Bake for 60 or until toothpick comes out clean.