Moist and fluffy banana caramel cupcakes filled with homemade caramel sauce and topped with a fluffy caramel frosting.
1. In a heavy bottomed pot, melt 1/2 cup of butter. Continue to cook until the butter is an amber color and it is no longer simmering. Remove from heat and allow to cool fully before using. At least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fairenheit. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
3. In a stand mixer, beat the sugar and butter together for 5 minutes. Add in eggs, mashed banana, caramel and vanilla then mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
4. Add in half of the dry ingredients then all of the milk and sour cream. Followed by the rest of the dry ingredients until fully combined.
5. Scoop batter into the lined muffin pan, about 2/3 full for each liner. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. While the cupcakes are baking, let's make the buttercream.
7. In a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, milk and vanilla together for 5 minutes on medium high speed. Add in caramel sauce and mix for an additional 3 minutes. Add more milk if the buttercream is too stiff.
8. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, poke a hole in the center of each cupcake, fill with caramel then frost with the buttercream.
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring sugar to a boil and allow to fully melt. Once sugar reaches 350 degress or a deep amber brown remove from stove top.
2. Add in room temperature sliced butter and heavy cream mixing until well combined. Add in salt.