I’m so excited to share this recipe for Easy Cinnamon Swirl French Toast. Thick sliced cinnamon swirl bread dipped and cooked golden to golden brown. I topped mine with sliced bananas and crunchy pecans…so good! This recipe is super easy and will make plenty to feed your hungry family or to freeze and save for later.
Is there seriously anything better than warm thick sliced french toast topped with sweet maple syrup? Now throw on some sliced bananas and pecans than we are talking about the perfect breakfast! French Toast is a favorite around here so I typically make plenty then freeze it to pull out later for a quick weekday breakfast.
Cinnamon Swirl French Toast is:
- Thick Sliced
- Easy to make
- Perfectly sweet
- The perfect breakfast
What you need to make french toast:
- Bakery Cinnamon Swirl Bread: I purchased this Xtreme Cinnamon Swirl Loaf from our local farmers market and it is the absolute best. The bottom of the bread is sitting on this brown sugar glaze and it really helps to take the bread over the top.
- Milk: I used whole milk for this recipe but 2% will work also.
- Eggs: Large whole are used here.
- Salt: This will help balance out the sweetness from the bread.
- Vanilla Extract: Using vanilla extract really brings the warmness to this delicious french toast.
- Bananas: Sliced ripe bananas go so well with the cinnamon french toast.
- Pecans: I used chopped pecans for a nice crunch plus, pecans and bananas go so well together.
- Butter: Cooking the french toast in butter will help cook them evenly and provides a slightly crisp layer.
How to make french toast
To make this easy cinnamon swirl french toast, combine the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Whisk until well combined. Slice the loaf of bread into thick slices then dip into the custard one piece at a time. Allow the bread to soak on each side for 20-30 seconds per side.
Place 1/2 teaspoon of butter into a pan and allow to melt, place one or two pieces of french toast into the pan and allow to cook until golden brown on one side. Flip and repeat with the other side.
Top with sliced bananas and pecans. Enjoy!
Can I use a different type of bread?
Of course! I would suggest using either Brioche or Challah which are usually thicker cut.
Can I make french toast ahead of time and freeze later?
Yup! Actually that’s one of my favorite things to do. I like to make a batch on the weekends then freeze for those busy weekdays. When I’m ready to eat, I pull out the number of french toast I need, then heat them up in the toaster or in the oven at 375 until warm all the way through.
Looking for more breakfast recipes?
Cinnamon Banana Pecan French Toast
Thick cinnamon swirl bread, cooked to golden perfection and topped with pecans and bananas.
- 1 Loaf Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
- 5 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Banana Sliced
- 1/3 cup Pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup Butter
1. In a medium size bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Set aside.
2. Slice the cinnamon swirl loaf or bread of your choice.
3. In a skillet pan, add a teaspoon of butter and heat on medium high. While the skillet is heating up, slice the bread loaf.
4. Dip each side of the bread in the custard, 20-30 seconds on each side. Add 1-2 slices of french toast to the pan at a time and cook on medium heat until golden brown. Flip and repeat for the other side.
5. Continue steps 2&3 until all bread has been cooked.
6. Topped with sliced bananas, chopped pecans and warm maple syrup. Enjoy!